Minister to Children and Families
Job Description for Minister to Children and Families
The Minister to Children and Families is responsible to develop and oversee the overall ministry efforts of the church to children aged birth through sixth grade and their parents. The spiritual growth and the safety of children are of highest priority. The Minister to Children will participate fully as a member of the pastoral staff, supporting and assisting in church programs, meeting regularly with deacons, assigned committees and ministry teams, assisting in worship services and visitation, and performing other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor. He or she is expected to abide by the policies and expectations stated in the Ministerial Personnel Policy. The Minister to Children will work under the direct supervision of the Pastor.
Specific duties will include, but not be limited to:
- Developing a personal relationship with children and their parents through home visits and interaction at church.
- Recruiting and training adult leaders who are spiritually and morally qualified to work in all children’s educational and spiritual formation activities. This will include working with the Nominating Committee to help fill leadership positions in these areas, as well as seeing that background checks are performed on all paid and volunteer staff.
- Providing training opportunities for children’s leaders.
- Giving oversight to Children’s Sunday School, GA’s and RA’s, summer programs (VBS, Children’s camps, etc.) and other special events.
- Providing leadership to the Preschool and Children’s Ministry Committees and Lead Teams in planning activities for children outside the parameters of Sunday and Wednesday night programs.
- Developing and submitting an annual budget request for all children’s ministry programs, overseeing expenditures and making purchases of curriculum, supplies and materials.
- Serving as ministerial staff liaison to the Preschool & Learning Center and Afterschool Program, coordinating programs of religious training for children enrolled in these programs and ministering to the families of the children as part of the overall outreach effort of the church.
- Supervising the Directors of the Preschool & Learning Center and Afterschool Program to ensure that the various state and health licensing standards are met, and the quality and content of the programs are consistent with the stated mission of those programs and the mission of the church.
- Keeping aware of current trends and evaluating available programs for children’s ministry by attending training seminars and networking with other Ministers to Children.
- Supervising the Nursery Coordinator; hiring, supervising and evaluating paid nursery workers.
- Coordinating childcare, as needed, in support of church ministries.
- Assisting in worship as needed.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
Qualifications for Minister to Children & Families
Minimum education/experience requirements:
- College degree (early education/seminary preferred)
- 5 years experience working with preschool/elementary children in a church or church related setting
- Seminary degree with focus on spiritual formation
- Additional years of experience working with preschool/elementary children
- Experience with children’s ministries in a large-church setting
- Experience with Baptist children’s programs (RA’s, GA’s, Bible Drill)
- Experience with child care center operations
- Ordained minister
Spiritual/leadership qualities desired:
- Love for children and passion to teach them about Jesus
- Ability to recruit, train and work effectively with volunteers
- Desire/ability to partner with parents and minister to families
- Track record of church involvement, leadership and stewardship
- Team player; coach leadership style
Resumes may be submitted on line to: firstname.lastname@example.org
OR mailed to: Snyder Memorial Baptist Church
ATTN: Children’s Minister Search Committee
701 Westmont Drive
Fayetteville, NC 28305